For the record and to avoid repeating the same program in the future, I’m documenting what I played for the concert I gave on Friday 28th February 2014. I had contemplated the possibilities of piano music from movies a few days earlier.
After an opening by two of my students, I presented the following program — on a tour around the world.
Cloud Atlas (2012) by Dennis Aman
- “The Passage of Time” from Chocolat
- two movies based on Victor Hugo’s novels set in Paris:
“Castle on a Cloud” and “On My Own” from “Les Miserables” the longest running musical in London
- “Bells of Notre Dame” from Walt Disney’s “The Hunchback of Notre Dame” (1996)
Not sure where the movie “Frozen” took place — but its title song “Let It Go” eventually won an Oscar for best original song
England – different parts, including London:
- Theme from “Romeo and Juliet”
- Two of Jane Austen’s novels
“My Father’s Favorite” from “Sense and Sensibility” (1995) — I will not include this solo piano piece in this program as the music is TOO slow
“Dawn” from “Pride and Prejudice” (2005) — Dario Marianelli’s solo piano piece is enchanting.
- Theme from “New York, New York” (1977)
- “All that Jazz” from “Chicago” (2002)
- “The Heart Asks Pleasure First” from Jane Campion’s “The Piano” (1993)
Finally, back to Maui —
“Miss Celie’s Blues” from “The Color Purple” (1985) which starred Oprah Winfrey, a part-time resident of Maui. The movie is based on the Pulitzer Prize-winning novel by Alice Walker, whose daughter Rebecca Walker also lives on Maui.
Friday 25th April 2014 @ 10 AM
Music for the Earth
Roselani Place, Kahului, Maui